Invest in your speech. Invest in yourself.
EXPERT IN YOUR FIELD
Most Capital Accent clients are experts in their fields. Many have earned, or are currently earning advanced degrees in American universities. They routinely conduct research and publish in English. Many teach.
STRONG ENGLISH SKILLS
Many of our clients who come from academia have an outstanding knowledge of English. Professional pronunciation training to improve clarity is a way to enhance already strong language skills and to showcase professional expertise.
PRONUNCIATION DIFFICULTIES ARE NOT A REFLECTION OF ABILITY
Learning to hear and pronounce speech sounds correctly employs a different set of skills than those used to learn English. Having difficulty with pronunciation is not a reflection on a person’s knowledge of English. However, poor speech habits can negatively impact on a person’s ability to speak the language.
PRONUNCIATION IS DIFFERENT
Clients who come to Capital Accent have difficulty effectively expressing all they know. This is because pronunciation is learned differently than language is. The accurate production of speech sounds involves sequences of complex, refined muscle movements. The movements are specific, require specialized instruction to learn and cannot be learned in an ESL class.
BENEFITS OF ACCENT MODIFICATION TRAINING FOR ACADEMIA
- Improved clarity to be better understood by students, professors,
support staff, and peers
- Increased confidence to express ideas fully instead of holding back
- More positive feedback from students on course evaluations
- Increased willingness to participate in group discussions
- Greater ease during communication in social situations
- Enhanced competitive edge for career advancement, e.g. teaching assistantships, internships, and professional positions